The following is the text of a news release from the American Salvage Association:
(ALEXANDRIA, Va.) — Leaders of the maritime industry will convene in Washington, D.C., on June 19 with representatives of the relevant government agencies to have a dialogue addressing concerns with, and ways to improve, the recently published draft National Preparedness for Response Exercise Program (NPREP) guidelines.
Preparing for the contingency of a maritime casualty has long been a priority of the industry, which has often been at the leading edge of improved standards and training. Therefore, it is considered of the utmost importance that a public meeting be held to address any concerns as these are issues that are of vital interest to many parties across the country and around the world.
The meeting particulars are:
Date: Thursday, June 19, 2014
Place: Washington, D.C., Ronald Reagan International Trade Building, Polaris Suite
Time: 1-4 p.m.
The event will be televised and a transcript made available to any interested parties.
The tentative schedule of the meeting will be as follows:
1 p.m. — Meeting begins
1. Opening remarks — Joseph J. Cox, president and CEO, Chamber of Shipping of America
2. Recognition of meeting co-hosts — Joseph Cox
• American Salvage Association
• Association of Petroleum Industry Cooperative Managers
• Chamber of Shipping of America
• Lake Carriers Association
• North American Marine Environment Protection Association
• Offshore Marine Service Association
• Passenger Vessel Association
• Spill Control Association of America
• Women’s International Shipping and Trading Association
3. Maritime industry background statements
• Qualified individuals – David Barry, president, Gallagher Marine Systems speaking on behalf of the QI community
• Responsible party – Thomas Garrett, vice president, OSG and member of Chamber of Shipping of America (CSA)
• Salvors – James Calhoun, manager of regulatory affairs, T&T Salvage LLC and member of American Salvage Association (ASA)
• OSROs – Steven Candito, president, National Response Corporation (NRC) and member of Spill Control Association of America (SCAA)
• Co-ops – Richard Gaudiosi, president, the Delaware Bay and River Cooperative (DBRC) and member of Association of Petroleum Industry Cooperative Managers (APICOM)
4. Government agency statements
• U.S. Coast Guard – Invited
• Department of the Interior – Invited
• U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – Invited
• U.S. Department of Transportation- Invited
5. Public comments – Open to all attendees
6. Closing remarks – Joseph J. Cox
4 p.m. – Meeting ends
We look forward to your attendance and participation at this important meeting. If you are interested, please register by sending your name, position, company affiliation, email and telephone number to Patricia Welch via firstname.lastname@example.org.