How to replace credentials lost due to Hawaii wildfires

Merchant Marine credentials

(MARTINSBURG, W.Va.) — In accordance with federal regulations, duplicate merchant mariner credentials (MMCs) may be issued free of charge to mariners whose credentials were lost or destroyed because of wildfires in Hawaii.

Affected mariners should provide a statement of loss to the National Maritime Center (NMC) via fax at (304) 433-3412 or via email at The statement should contain all of the following:

• Mariner’s full name
• Mariner’s date of birth
• Mariner’s reference number (MRN) (if you don’t know the MRN, include the last four digits of the mariner’s Social Security number)
• Mariner’s current mailing address
• Mariner’s current phone number and/or email address
• Description of circumstances surrounding the loss/destruction of the credential.

Unless otherwise requested, any duplicate MMCs issued per the request process above will include a corresponding duplicate medical certificate, if previously issued. The NMC will make every effort to have duplicate credentials mailed out the next business day.

Alternatively, mariners may submit form CG-719B, Application for Merchant Mariner Credential, along with the information above, to one of the Regional Exam Centers. If your credential is unserviceable due to damage or your lost credential is subsequently found, that credential should be mailed to the NMC.

If you have questions or feedback regarding duplicate credentials, contact the NMC via its online chat or ticketing system, by emailing, or by calling (888) IASKNMC (427-5662).

– National Maritime Center

By Professional Mariner Staff