The following is the text of a news release from the Southeast Maritime and Transportation (SMART) Center:
(NORFOLK, Va.) — Secondary and post-secondary STEM and CTE educators, college faculty, guidance counselors and career coaches can apply online between now and May 2 for a unique, immersive experience into the maritime and transportation industry through the SMART Summer Maritime and Transportation Institute. This year applicants can choose from three institute locations:
• June 26-July 1: Houston, Texas (San Jacinto College)
• July 10-15: Norfolk, Va. (Tidewater Community College)
• July 17-22: Baltimore, Md. (Anne Arundel Community College)
Interested applicants can apply online and will be notified by mid-May to secure their spot upon acceptance. The institute offers participants the opportunity to:
• Tour industry work sites including ports, shipyards, intermodal terminals, maritime simulators, workboats and MarAd ships, and talk with current maritime and transportation industry employees;
• Network with peers in education and the maritime transportation industry;
• Contribute to a National Science Foundation (NSF) digital repository of educator and industry tools;
• Create hands-on learning projects with Institute peers;
• Become a SMART-certified STEM educator;
• Earn six continuing education units (CEUs) from Tidewater Community College (TCC);
• Earn a stipend upon successful completion of all aspects of the institute, timely submission of replicable educational modules to the SMART Center, and responses to SMART Center post-institute surveys.
Learn more on the SMART Center website and apply online today. Spaces are limited. For more information contact SMART Center Executive Director Barbara Murray at firstname.lastname@example.org or (757) 401-8259.