Ship's mooring line snaps in Port of Longview, killing one

Ansac Splendor 805184

The following is text of a news release from the U.S. Coast Guard:

(PORTLAND, Ore.) — The Coast Guard has launched an investigation into a serious marine incident that occurred at the Port of Longview Terminal 5, in Washington, early Thursday morning.

Investigators from Marine Safety Unit Portland have been at the scene of the incident since early Thursday morning where a mooring line parted, killing one dockworker, seriously injuring the vessel’s chief officer and injuring two others.

Watch standers from Coast Guard Sector Columbia River received the incident report from the captain of the motor vessel Ansac Splendor at 1:46 a.m., reporting that a mooring line parted while the vessel was shifting at berth to facilitate the loading of cargo.

“Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased and injured including crewmembers and dockworkers,” said Capt. Thomas Griffitts, commanding officer Marine Safety Unit Portland. “The goal of our investigation is to find out what happened so we can prevent similar tragedies at this port and the other ports along the Columbia River.”

The Port of Longview shutdown operations for the entire port as a safety standdown was put in place, which has allowed various federal, state and local agency investigations to take place.

The Coast Guard sent two investigators out to the scene and they are in the process of taking pictures, checking documents and checking line certificates.

Editor's note: The Port of Longview reported on Facebook that chief mate Pingshan Li, 41, died on June 29 due to his injuries. "Please keep his family, friends and vessel mates in your thoughts. Our hearts are heavy on the waterfront," the port said.


(LONGVIEW, Wash.) — A man was killed and three others were injured Thursday morning at the Port of Longview when a vessel's line snapped and recoiled, striking the victims, KATU 2 reported.

According to port officials, M/V Ansac Splendor was moving along the dock from one loading hatch to another at about 1:30 a.m. when the incident occurred.

International Longshore Workers Union member Byron Jacobs, 34, was struck and killed. He was found dead at the scene. The chief mate aboard the vessel was also struck and is in critical condition at Southwest Washington Medical Center. Another longshoreman and a security guard also suffered injuries.

“This is a tragic day on the waterfront,” said Jake Ford, president of International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 21. “Byron was an active member of the union, loved his work and will be incredibly missed."

Click here to read the story.

By Professional Mariner Staff