The following is text of a news release from the National Maritime Center (NMC):
(MARTINSBURG, W.Va.) — In an effort to provide consistent, quality customer service to all mariners, the National Maritime Center (NMC) is implementing the following changes at all Regional Examination Centers (RECs). These changes take effect Monday, April 6, 2020:
• Walk-in services for examinations will no longer be offered. All examinations must be scheduled at least two business days in advance. After receiving a letter from the NMC indicating you are approved to test, schedule an examination appointment by:
• All RECs will have two examination periods daily, a 3.5-hour a.m. (morning) session and a 3.5-hour p.m. (afternoon) session with a minimum half-hour break between sessions. See the REC webpage for specific hours.
• Mariners who finish a module early may take additional modules during an examination period but will not be given additional time to complete the extra modules. Requests for additional modules during a specific examination period are coordinated with the REC staff at the time of examination.
• There will be no changes to the first class pilot examination process.
• Appointments are highly recommended for all other services. See the REC webpage for facility access requirements.
Should you have any questions or concerns, visit the examinations or frequently asked questions webpages, or contact the NMC Customer Service Center by e-mailing IASKNMC@uscg.mil, by using the NMC online chat system, or by calling 1-888-IASKNMC (427-5662).