(LARK HARBOUR, Newfoundland and Labrador) — All 20 crewmembers aboard the containership MSC Baltic III were rescued Saturday after their vessel ran aground on Newfoundland and Labrador’s west coast, CBC News reported.
Early Saturday morning, the Marine Communications and Traffic Services Center in nearby Channel-Port aux Basques received a mayday from the cargo ship about 12 nautical miles off the entrance to the Bay of Islands. The ship reported a loss of power and the crew was unable to secure an anchor, leaving them adrift.
Conditions were not in the crew’s favor. A winter storm warning was in effect in the region at the time of the incident, with winds up to 75 mph. Ferry crossings to Nova Scotia from nearby Port aux Basques had been canceled for the day.

According to the Canadian Coast Guard, shortly after losing power the ship ran aground in Wild Cove, west of Lark Harbour. Photos and video posted to social media show the vessel against the rocks, close to the cliffs.
The Halifax Joint Rescue Coordination Center said it was alerted to the full power blackout on the vessel on Saturday morning. In a social media post, the center said that “thanks to 103 and 413 #SAR Squadrons’ swift response, all 20 crew were airlifted to safety” via Cormorant helicopter. Click here to view a video of the rescue.
The Canadian Coast Guard and a Marine Environmental Hazards Response team are working with the operator of MSC Baltic III on a salvage plan.
The cause of the loss of power aboard the ship is not yet known.
