Crewmember hurt, hull breached when OSV runs up on jetty while en route to anchorage


An offshore supply vessel ran aground on a Galveston, Texas, jetty while heading for a nighttime anchorage, injuring one crewman and leaving a six-foot tear in the hull, the U.S. Coast Guard reported.

The 94-foot Ashton T, owned by T&T Marine of Galveston, was heading from the T&T docks on Pelican Island to the Galveston Anchorage at about 2350 on March 17 when the incident occurred, according to the Coast Guard. Seas were calm, with 10- to 15-knot winds and visibility of 10 miles.

One of the four crewmembers aboard Ashton T suffered injuries that were not considered serious, the Coast Guard reported. All four were taken to shore by another vessel from T&T Marine shortly after the grounding, said Lt. j.g. Alfred Betts, chief of enforcement for Coast Guard Marine Safety Unit Texas City.

“The injured crewman was transported to the hospital by T&T Marine upon arrival back at their Pelican Island docks,” he said.

The vessel’s hull was breached and the keel was bent.

“The hull was compromised in the forepeak and approximately six inches aft of the collision bulkhead,” Betts said. “The damage included a six-foot-long tear in the forespeak running fore and aft. Fractures were developed about six inches aft of the collision bulkhead. The keel was slightly distorted and a few insets aft of the fractures occurred. The transducers were also compromised and one was detached.”

Betts said he could not comment on the extent of the crewman’s injuries. He declined to comment on the speed of the vessel at the time of the grounding, or if it had experienced electronic or mechanical problems. He said the investigation was still open.

T&T Marine General Manager Phil Leasure declined to comment, citing company policy.

Betts said T&T Marine Salvage removed Ashton T from the North Jetty on March 18. No damage estimate was available from T&T Marine.

Ashton T was carrying approximately 1,650 gallons of diesel fuel when it ran aground. The Coast Guard said the vessel’s fuel tanks were not damaged. No pollution was reported.

Personnel from MSU Texas City responded to the scene and worked with T&T Marine “to safely and quickly remove the vessel with no impact to the environment,” said Cmdr. James Robertson, commanding officer of MSU Texas City.

By Professional Mariner Staff