Moran Savannah-Brunswick, a division of Moran Towing Corporation (www.morantug.com), a leading tug and barge services company with locations spanning the U.S Atlantic and Gulf Coasts, has an opening for a Port Engineer. This is a full-time, salaried position reporting to the General Manager, Moran Savannah-Brunswick. Moran is a growth-oriented company committed to providing safe, high quality, and efficient tug assist, towing, transportation, and related maritime services to our world-wide customers.
The Port Engineer displays high levels of assertiveness and accountability as the lead engineer responsible for the operation and maintenance of the floating and support assets of the Division, which includes providing direct support to the tug engineers.
Hours of work are Moran Savannah-Brunswick business hours Monday through Friday, with the incumbent expected to be available, when required, during off-hours, weekends, and holidays. Occasional travel, including by air, will be required.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES include:
Manage Local Engineering Activities
- Actively pursue safety improvements per Moran’s Mission Statement.
- Review Daily Engineering Reports from vessels.
- Implement and monitor the Preventive Maintenance Plan (PMP).
- Manage and complete vessel repairs and maintain knowledge of vessels’ systems and status.
- Complete capital improvement projects; seeking out and implementing cost-saving measures where applicable.
- Ensure regulatory and class requirements are met.
- Purchase Engine Department spares and consumables.
- Oversee Engineer development, training, and qualifications.
- Maintain corporate databases as they apply to the Engineering Department.
- Obtain PIC Chief for all division tugs.
- Obtain Shipyard Competent Person rating, including use of QRAE gas detection equipment.
Interface with Corporate Construction and Repair Department
- Seek guidance and approval relating to major repairs, modifications, or equipment overhauls.
- Assist with specifications and completion of vessel dry dockings.
- Share information relevant to Moran’s comprehensive fleet. • Ensure Regulatory compliance as applicable.
- Maintain and track inventories as required.
- Ensure readiness of support equipment (i.e., forklift, crane, etc.).
Maintain Shore Side Engineering Facilities and Support Equipment
- Vet and select vendors, coordinate, and schedule vendors, and review and approve vendor invoicing.
- Ensure Quality Control and SMS conformance relating to vendor behavior and performance.
Manage Local Vendor Relationships
Manage Direct Reports (if applicable)
- Delegate tasks to the Assistant Port Engineer, providing guidance and career development opportunities as appropriate.
- Ensure Assistant Port Engineer meets job requirements.
- BS degree in Marine Engineering or equivalent experience, evidenced by Advanced Marine Engineering expertise.
- Five or more years of relevant engineering experience in a licensed capacity.
- Past or current USCG engineering licensure.
- Possess or able to obtain TWIC documentation (including meeting the physical requirements of the USCG 719K physical exam).
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs.
- Demonstrated good judgment, work flexibility, and high level of initiative and organization.
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Frequently reach, bend, stoop, and crawl.
- Regularly walk and navigate stairs, ladders, and uneven surfaces.
- Use tools on occasion to include wide range of combined physical motions.
- Occasionally lift 75 lbs.
- Speak, hear, and see (color vision required).
Moran offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package. Qualified, interested applicants must apply online under “Careers” at www.morantug.com/careers-at-moran/ by submitting a resume and cover letter with the subject line Port Engineer, Savannah.
Moran Towing Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.